These vegan cherry cupcakes are moist, rich and chocolatey with a cherry surprise inside! Made with coconut oil, raw cacao and fresh cherries they will suit all ages and taste even better than a non vegan cupcake. Topped with vegan cashew cream icing and chocolate ganache and filled with a cherry mousse you will be making these for many years to come.
Tips For Making These Vegan Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes
- Make sure the cherries are ripe as these help make a delicious cherry surprise filling with no bitterness.
- The cashew icing can take a little time but it is so worth it! To make it the correct consistency it needs to be placed in the freezer for 20 minutes or more.
- Add some cherry filling to the icing to intensify the colour.
- These are also delicious topped with just vegan chocolate ganache if you are running low on time.
- Use a good quality chocolate with at least 70% cocoa solids such as Lindt 70% Cooking Chocolate.
If you like these then you will love these sweet recipesPrint
Moist vegan chocolate cherry cupcakes made with coconut oil and raw cacao, topped with chocolate ganache and filled with a cherry surprise
- 180g plain spelt or wheat flour
- 110g coconut or brown sugar
- 40g raw cacao or cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 180ml milk
- 100ml olive or rapeseed oil
- 1 tablespoon organic apple cider vinegar
For the filling:
- 100g cherries, pitted and quartered
- 35ml fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
For the chocolate ganache:
- 120ml coconut cream
- 200g vegan chocolate
For the icing:
- 120g cashew nuts
- 60g coconut oil, melted
- 30ml maple syrup
Preheat the oven to 170˚C/340˚F.
Start by making the cherry filling. Add the cherries, orange juice and maple syrup to the TM bowl. Heat 4 minutes, 50˚C, speed 3 until the cherries soften and the mixture is thick. Set aside.
Place the flour, cacao powder, baking powder and baking soda into the TM bowl. Blitz together for 20 minutes, speed 4 to remove any lumps. Add the sugar and combine well 10 seconds, speed 3. Remove to a separate bowl until required.
Add the milk to the TM bowl and heat 1 minute, 50˚C, speed 1 until just warm. Add the the oil and apple cider vinegar and blend 10 seconds, speed 5.
Add the dry reserved ingredients to the oil mixture and blend 30 seconds, speed 4.
Spoon two thirds of the cupcake mixture into at the cases.
Top with a teaspoon of cherry filling and top with a third of the cupcake batter. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 18-20 minutes.
To make the ganache, chop the chocolate into small pieces in the TM bowl 5 seconds, speed 6. Remove to a bowl then heat the coconut cream to just below boiling 1 minute, 80˚C, speed 2. Add the chocolate pieces and mix 20 seconds, speed 5 or until smooth.
To make the cashew buttercream, place the cashews in the TM bowl on high speed until smooth 30 seconds, speed 8. Scrape down the sides with a spatula and add the coconut oil and blend 20 seconds, speed 5. Scrape down the sides.
Add the maple syrup and blend on low 20 seconds, speed 3. Place the TM bowl in the freezer (if it fits or add to a separate bowl) and beat every 20 minutes (by placing back in the freezer each time) until the right consistency for spreading or piping. Pipe some cashew buttercream on top of the cupcake and top with chocolate ganache and a chocolate dipped cherry. Enjoy!
Add natural colourant or some cherry filling to the cashew icing to intensify the colour