A comforting recipe for roasted pumpkin and chorizo risotto with all the flavours of autumn
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Preheat the oven to 180℃/350℉. Prepare the pumpkin by cutting it into quarters, remove the seeds (reserve for roasting) and remove the skin with a sharp knife. Cut into bite sized pieces. Alternatively you can roast a whole small pumpkin see notes.
- Grate the parmesan cheese in the TM bowl 10 seconds, speed 7. Reserve.
- Chop the fresh parsley and sage 5 seconds, speed 5. Reserve.
- Make the spice mix by adding the coriander,cumin seeds and turmeric to the TM bowl. Grind 5 seconds, speed 8 and then toast 2 minutes, 100℃, speed 2.
- Toss the pumpkin in olive oil, season with salt, pepper and the spice mix and roast in the oven for 20 minutes or until cooked through. Reserve half of the diced pumpkin for serving. Add the remaining pumpkin to the TM bowl and mash 5 seconds, speed 5. Reserve and wash the TM bowl.
- Peel the chorizo and cut in half. Add to the TM bowl and chop 5 seconds, speed 3. Reserve in a separate bowl.
- Add the onion and garlic to the TM bowl and chop 5 seconds, speed 5. Add the olive oil, chopped chorizo and sweat 5 minutes,110℃, speed 2.
- Add the paprika, cinnamon and cloves. Stir on a low heat 3 minutes, 50℃, speed 2 to impart the flavours.
- Add the butterfly whisk and the rice and stir 30 seconds, reverse speed spoon to coat with the oil and spices.
- Add the white wine and stock. Bring to the boil 2 minutes,Varoma, reverse speed spoon. Redue the heat and cook 15 minutes, 80℃ reverse speed spoon.
- Add the mashed pumpkin and a little extra stock and cook for another 5 minutes, 80℃, reverse speed spoon. Add the grated parmesan and fresh parsley and sage. Stir 1 minute, reverse speed spoon. Taste and season to your liking.
- Serve on a plate and top with the diced roasted pumpkin, toasted pumpkin seeds and a sprinkling of chopped sage.
If using a whole pumpkin, slice the top off and scoop out as many seeds as you can. Drizzle with olive oil and roast in a preheated oven at 180ºC for 35 minutes or until soft. Scoop out the remaining seeds and the pumpkin flesh and dice. Once the risotto is cooked you can use the empty pumpkin for serving.
Butternut squash may also be used in this recipe.
Instead of buying pumpkin seeds, use the reserved seeds from the pumpkin and roast in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Serving Size: 6
Keywords: Roasted pumpkin and chorizo risotto