A rich and spicy pomegranate prawn curry made with fresh prawns, cherry tomatoes and spices then topped with pomegranate seeds to add a cooling crunch to the curry
10g fresh coriander, leaves only
400g tomatoes, quartered
1 inch cube of fresh turmeric, peeled
1 tbsp coriander seeds
2 tsp cumin seeds
5 cardamom pods, seeds removed and reserved
¼ tsp nigella seeds
½ tsp ground cinnamon
8g fresh root ginger, peeled
1 small to medium red chilli, seeds removed
1 large onion, peeled and quartered
2 cloves garlic
10 ml olive oil
1 tbsp pomegranate molasses
1 tablespoon garam masala
50g coconut cream
10g ground almonds, optional
1 fresh pomegranate
1kg raw prawns, peeled and deveined leaving 1 each unpeeled
100g vine ripened cherry tomatoes
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Add the coriander leaves to the TM bowl and chop speed 6, 6 seconds. Reserve in a bowl.
- Add the tomatoes and chop speed 4, 5 seconds. Reserve until needed.
- Add the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, cardamom seeds, nigella seeds and cinnamon and grind speed 10, 20 seconds.
- Add the turmeric and ginger with the onions, garlic and red chilli and chop speed 8, 10 seconds. Scrape down with the spatula.
- Add the olive oil and sweat speed 2, 90˚C, 4 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, pomegranate molasses and garam masala and cook speed 2, 100˚C, 7 minutes. Blend speed 10, 5 seconds.
- Pour in the coconut cream and ground almonds and mix speed 2, 5 seconds.
- Add the prawns and cherry tomatoes and cook reverse speed spoon, 90˚C, 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the chopped coriander stirring lightly with the spatula.
- Cook the unshelled prawns by pan frying in some salt and butter until cooked.
- Serve with rice and top with pomegranate seeds and the unshelled prawn. Delicious served with naan bread. Enjoy!
The ground almonds are optional. I add them to thicken the sauce so you can add as much or as little as you like.
You can replace the fresh turmeric with 1 teaspoon of ground turmeric. Likewise you can use ground ginger instead of fresh root ginger.
- Category: Seafood
- Method: Thermomix
- Serving Size: 4-6
Keywords: pomegranate prawn curry