Delicious flavours of autumn make this homemade pumpkin spice latte a treat! Made with fresh pumpkin, espresso coffee, pumpkin spice, milk and cream then topped with cinnamon to bring your favourite cafeteria straight to your kitchen!
- 100g pumpkin or squash (butternut squash is my preference)
- 50g espresso coffee
- 500g milk or dairy free milk
- ½ teaspoon fresh nutmeg, grated
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 whole clove
- 1 star anise
- 2 cardamom pods, seeds removed
- 1–2 tbsp maple syrup, depending on taste
- 100g fresh cream
- Start by making the pumpkin puree. Place 500g water in the thermomix. Add the diced pumpkin to the Varoma tray and steam 20 minutes, 100˚C, speed 1. Remove the water and place the pumpkin in the TM bowl and blend 5 seconds, speed 7. Scrape down with a spatula and blend 3 seconds, speed 5. Remove to a bowl until needed.
- Add the butterfly whisk and cream to the TM bowl. Whip the cream speed 3 until desired consistency which should take approximately 10 seconds. It should be stiff enough for piping.
- Clean and dry the bowl. Now make the pumpkin spice mix. Add the cinnamon sticks to the TM bowl. Grind 20 seconds, speed 10. Remove 1 tablespoon of the ground cinnamon to reserve for the topping. Add the grated nutmeg, cinnamon stick, ground ginger, clove, star anise and cardamom seeds. Grind 20 seconds, speed 10. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with the spatula and grind again 20 seconds, speed 10.
- Add the milk and pumpkin puree to the spices in the TM bowl. Heat for 3 minutes, 90˚C, speed 3.
- Add the maple syrup and espresso coffee and heat for 2 minutes, 90˚C, speed 3. Froth for 40 seconds, speed 6.
- Pour into tall glass mugs. Place the whipped cream in a piping bag with a star tip and pipe a swirl of cream on top.
- Sprinkle with the reserved freshly ground cinnamon. Enjoy!
If you want a caffeine free version just omit the coffee as it is delicious with the pumpkin and spices on its own.
For a dairy free version use dairy free milk and omit the cream.
You can make the pumpkin spice in advance and store in a jar for up to one month.
- Method: thermomix
Keywords: homemade pumpkin spice latte