- 3 large egg whites (approx 140g)
- 70g caster sugar
- 180g icing sugar
- 120g whole almonds
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- Gel food colouring
- ½ vanilla pod, scraped
- Natural food colouring, optional
For the filling:
- 130g butter
- 20g cream cheese
- 250g icing sugar
- 4 tablespoons strawberry or raspberry puree
- Prepare your tray with greaseproof paper. Prepare the piping bag with a size 3 tip.
- Using the whisk whip the egg whites 2 minutes, 37˚C, speed 3.5. Add the caster sugar, gel colour, vanilla (or any flavour) and cream of tartar and whip 2 minutes, 37˚C, speed 3. Place in a large bowl and clean and dry the thermomix bowl.
- Add the whole almonds to the TM bowl and grind 10 seconds, speed 10. Scrape down and grind again 10 seconds, speed 8. Add the icing sugar and blitz 10 seconds, speed 10.
- Add the almond mixture to the egg white mixture and fold until it is incorporated and the mixture is still slightly thick and just about drops off the spatula. It should just hold a letter 8 in the mix.
- Pipe rounds onto the greaseproof paper leaving space in between. Bang the tray down on a hard surface to get rid of any air bubbles.
- Leave to dry for at least 30 minutes to form a crust on the top. While they are drying preheat the oven to 120˚C.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes and leave to cool. Remove from the parchment paper when cold and fill with buttercream mixed with fresh strawberry filling.
To make the filling cream the butter and cream cheese 1 minute, speed 3. Add the icing sugar and beat 30 seconds, speed 4. Scrape down the sides and repeat. Add the puree and mix 10 seconds, speed 3.
If possible separate your egg whites the day before and leave in the fridge. This matures the egg white which stabilises the meringue easier.
Only use gel or powder colouring with no oils. The colour fades with cooking so add more than required.
To make the filling, whip the butter and cream cheese 30 seconds, speed 5 until smooth. Scrape down the sides with a spatula.
Add the icing sugar and fruit puree and blend until smooth 20 seconds, speed 3.
- Category: Baking
- Method: Thermomix
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: easy thermomix macaron recipe